Study in UK

The UK has been the preferred choice for some of the most important minds in history. One in four world leaders has studied in the UK, so if you’re dreaming of achieving big things, you can be sure you’re in the right place in the UK.

We are a trusted UK university partner, specializing in Undergraduate, Postgraduate applications. Arrange your free consultation with our British Council-trained consultants today.

Applying to study in the UK is a straightforward process and we will guide you through it step by step. Get in touch with our team today to discuss how we can help you – call us at +442086385532 or get in touch online.

Thousands of students from all over the world study in the UK each year, making studying in the UK the number one choice for international students in Europe and number two in the world. World-class education and a good future perspective are what British higher education will give you at its minimum.

Holding a British degree will set you apart in today’s competitive job market, regardless of the country you are in. Not surprisingly, the UK is a hub for international students being the second most popular study destination for overseas students, with over a million international students.

Degree courses in the UK

There are hundreds of bachelor’s courses available, in a variety of subjects. Undergraduate degrees are generally divided into four types:

·       Bachelor of Arts (BA)

·       Bachelor of Science (BSc)

·       Bachelor of Education (BEd)

·       Bachelor of Engineering (BEng).

Programs take three years to complete when studied full time. In Scotland, undergraduate degrees take four years.

At the undergraduate level, you’ll be assessed through the completion of assignments, coursework, and exams before writing a dissertation in your final year.

Entry requirements are set by individual institutions and differ depending on where you choose to study. For admission, onto the Bachelor’s program, you’ll usually need three passes at A-level (or equivalent), which translate into a certain amount of University and College Admission Service (UCAS) tariff points. As an international student, you will need to prove your English language proficiency.

Alternative undergraduate qualifications include a foundation degree, a Higher National Diploma (HND), a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE), and a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ).

Masters degrees

There are a number of postgraduate study options for students in the UK. A variety of Masters Courses are available and they are split into two types:

·       Taught courses – allow you to build on knowledge gained during your undergraduate study through lectures, seminars and practical work

·       Research courses – focus more on independent study and involve less guidance from tutors.

Masters programs last one-year full-time, although some research-based courses can take 18 months to two years to complete. To gain entry onto a course as an international student you will need:

·       to have gained a bachelor’s degree (usually completed over three years, except in Scotland where it takes four years) or an equivalent qualification in another country

·       to ensure you can meet the required level of English language to participate fully in your chosen course

·       a copy of your passport.

Course fees

These vary across institutions so it’s important to contact each university individually. For an undergraduate course, UK students generally pay around £9,250 annually, whereas international students may pay fees between £10,000 and £20,000. Since Brexit, EU students pay the same fees to study in the UK as international students.

EU students must have settled or pre-settled status in the UK to apply for student finance, as of 1 August 2021.

A Ph.D. costs more than a Masters’s and fees for an MBA are even higher.

According to UCAS, postgraduate tuition fees can range from £4,900 (£8,000 for internationals) to more than £30,000 per year, although on average students will pay £11,000 a year in tuition fees.

Student visas

If you are not a resident of the UK and want to apply for a course longer than six months then you’ll need a student visa.

You may apply for a student visa in the UK if you’re over 16 years old and you:

·       have been offered a place on a course

·       have sufficient income (from any source) to live without needing income support

·       Can speak, read, write and understand English to a B2 level for degree-level qualifications, or a B1 level for anything below. Use the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale to understand the requirement.

The student visa (replacing the Tier 4 (General) student visa) costs £363 if you are applying from outside the UK, or £490 to extend or switch to a student visa from inside the UK.

The earliest you can apply for a student visa is three months before the start of your course if you’re in the UK, with a decision usually being made in eight weeks. If you’re applying from outside the UK, the earliest you can apply is within six months and you’ll usually get a decision within three weeks.

If you’re 18 years old or over, and your course is degree level, you are permitted to stay in the UK for five years. If below degree level it’s up to two years.

You may also have to pay a fee for health insurance in the UK called an immigration health surcharge – you can work out the amount you would pay on GOV.UK.

Find out more at GOV.UK – Student visas.

Language requirements

All courses in the UK are taught in English so students must be able to interact fluently and effectively.

The most commonly accepted proficiency test in the UK is the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). International postgraduates take the academic test, which is made up of four sections:

·       listening

·       reading

·       speaking

·       Writing.

The test takes two hours and 45 minutes to complete and results are graded on a nine-band scale, with a minimum score of six or seven usually required by universities. Find a test center near you at IELTS Worldwide Search.

Other English language proficiency tests include:

·       Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)

·       LanguageCert

·       Cambridge ESOL.

How to apply

All undergraduate applications are handled by the centralized UCAS system. Students are required to fill out an application form online and write a personal statement, which outlines their reasons for wanting to study a particular course.

There is no centralized body that covers postgraduate applications in the UK and in the majority of cases you’ll apply directly to your chosen university. The easiest way to complete this process is by applying online via the university website and tracking your progress.